An Experimental Study on Pitch Compensation in Pedestrian-Protection Systems for Collision Avoidance and Mitigation
- Llorca, David F.; Sotelo, Miguel Ángel; Parra, Ignacio; Naranjo, J. Eugenio; Gavilán, Miguel; Álvarez, Sergio
- Year: 2009
- Type of Publication: Article
- Keywords: car-to-pedestrian accident; collision avoidance; collision mitigation; deceleration strategy; experimental study; pedestrian-protection system; pitch compensation; stereovision system; virtual disparity image; automobiles; collision avoidance; road accidents; road sa
- Journal: Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on
- Volume: 10
- Number: 3
- Pages: 469 -474
- Month: sept.
- ISSN: 1524-9050
- DOI: 10.1109/TITS.2009.2018958
- This paper describes an improved stereovision system for the anticipated detection of car-to-pedestrian accidents. An improvement of the previous versions of the pedestrian-detection system is achieved by compensation of the camera's pitch angle, since it results in higher accuracy in the location of the ground plane and more accurate depth measurements. The system has been mounted on two different prototype cars, and several real collision-avoidance and collision-mitigation experiments have been carried out in private circuits using actors and dummies, which represents one of the main contributions of this paper. Collision avoidance is carried out by means of deceleration strategies whenever the accident is avoidable. Likewise, collision mitigation is accomplished by triggering an active hood system.